Fortrose Cathedral – Bishop Robert moved here from Rosemarkie between 1214 & 1249 and built the cathedral.
The Cathedral was constructed of red sandstone. Today two sections still stand, the chapter house and the nave’s south aisle. The outline of the remainder of the cathedral complex was revealed by excavations in 1873.
On the ceiling of the western chapel there are two heraldic bosses, representing Earl Alexander and Bishop John Bulloch.
Within the aisles are three arched tombs: the Countess of Ross-shire (who was forced to marry the Wolf of Badenoch), Bishop Fraser (who died in 1507) and Bishop Cairncross (who died in 1545).
Only the south aisle, chapel and chapter house now remain, with the plan of the foundations laid out in the grass.
In 1572 Lord Ruthven was granted permission to use lead from its roof, and Oliver Cromwell used stone from the Cathedral to build a new fort in Inverness. Historic Scotland now take care of the site.
The cathedral was taken into state care in 1851 with restoration works taking place shortly afterwards. Further work took place in 1897 when collapsed masonry was removed from the site.
Situated in Fortrose, signposted from the High Street. Open all year. Free admission.Keys available locally between 9.30am and 5.30pm in the summer and 4.30pm in the winter.